After a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the popular Tohoku University Photo Contest is back!
To be in the running for a great prize, all shutterbugs are encouraged to submit a photo in one or more of the following categories:
Category A: The New Normal and Life at Tohoku University
Category B: Tohoku University Views
Category C: SDGs / Going Green
Although this contest encourages participants to be as creative and imaginative as possible, please remember that the pandemic is on-going, and all infection prevention measures must be strictly adhered to during photo shoots. These include wearing a mask, washing your hands, avoiding the 3Cs and staying home if you feel unwell.
Additionally, participants should pay attention to local and national COVID-19 announcements, avoid areas that are experiencing high infection numbers; and do not enter any parts of campus that are closed due to infection preventative measures. Always check Tohoku University's official websites, including this one, for updates.
Photo Contest Rules
This contest is open to anyone who is interested. Please remember to take all necessary precautions when out shooting.
Only one entry per person is allowed in each category. Anyone who submits more than one photo in a category will be disqualified
December 1 - 31, 2021
● Grand prize: 50,000 yen gift voucher
● Website prize: 20,000 yen gift voucher
● Honourable mentions: 2,000 yen gift vouchers
* Winners living overseas or university staff/faculty will be given university-branded goods instead of vouchers.
Conditions of entry
All entrants must agree to the following:
1. Submission format
- Entrants may submit one photo per category (submissions with collages, graphics, text and/or photo credits will not be accepted).
- All submissions must be original photos taken by the entrant. Photos cannot have been previously displayed elsewhere or entered in another contest.
- Material that is disrespectful, defamatory or that infringes on the rights of a third party will not be accepted. Likewise, material that is deemed unlawful or related to criminal activity will be disqualified.
- When people are the subject of a photo, entrants must obtain consent to use their image. In the case of minors, entrants should obtain parental consent.
- Tohoku University will not be responsible for any disputes that might arise with a third party over a photo. Issues must be resolved by the contest entrant(s).
- Tohoku University will not use any personal information outside of the contest.
- All photos must be submitted in digital format only (prints and negatives will not be accepted).
- Files must be submitted in JPEG format. They must be above 8 megapixels in quality and no larger than 10MB in size.
- Tohoku University will not be responsible for any data damaged during the submission process.
2. How to submit photos
Entrants must submit photos via Google Form.
3. Ownership of images
Entrants retain the rights to their own work. However, by entering the contest, they give Tohoku University's Public Relations Section (and those authorized by the PR Section) the right to reproduce, display and publish their photographs royalty-free. This right also includes the following:
- The entrant gives Tohoku University the authority to reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or later developed.
- Whether an entrant is chosen as a winner or not, their photos may be used for any purpose including, but not limited to, the advertising and promotion of Tohoku University and its website, social media and publications.
- Tohoku University has the authority to decide whether to credit a photo with the entrant's name. Entrants who do not want to use their real name may provide a pseudonym.
- Photos should be submitted with titles in Japanese or English, or both. When a title is submitted in one language only, Tohoku University's PR Section will provide a translation.
4. Announcement of results
Winners will be notified and winning entries will be published on Tohoku University's official websites, including this one.
If the university is unable to make contact with a winner or get a reply via email within two weeks, an alternate prizewinner will be selected.
All decisions regarding the winners are final and binding.
Contact:Tohoku University International PR Section